Re: [CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 09:09:08 -0500

Fernando,

Nice analysis and yes, I think most of us would agree to your conclusions.
All else being equal for operators and stations, the "golden circle" of
Northern Africa and Extreme Northern South America will always win CQ WW and
CQ WPX.  Even if the 3 points were changed to 2 points, propagation alone
would likely have these same stations win.

But that is not the way to look at contesting.  Look for ALL contests where
its fun.  Where does South America have an advantage?  ARRL DX and ARRL 10
come to mind.  Look to win the continental contests from South America as
well.

I have no chance of winning the world from W1 any more than you do from PY.
But that doesn't prevent us from really enjoying contesting and trying to
win the US when I can.

And don't think we can win the US for W1 in every contest.  Take a look at
the top 10 in this weekend's SS contest in any category.  Look at NAQP as
well.  Every location has its spot to shine.

This is the sport.  Its not to normalize every contest.  Its to know which
contest you can win the world and which you can't.  Compete in all you can
have fun in and accept what is continental winnable and what is not.  Try
and win your country when you have a shot.

73

Ed  N1UR