Re: [CQ-Contest] Why SuperCheckPartial makes you assisted

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why SuperCheckPartial makes you assisted
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 11:38:58 -0700

Your absurd examples have nothing to do with the EXCHANGE. The contest rules require the exchange (of which the callsign is arguably the most important) to be completed solely by the operator and solely during the contest. In my opinion, SCP ... and "Call History" files that are often generated by others ... fall outside of that definition. Nothing in the contest rules say anything about DSP or generating your own electricity ... they do say a lot about how you are supposed to accomplish a valid exchange.

This has nothing to do with "good old times addicts". Slurs like that are a pretty cheap debating tactic and I'm pretty certain that my setup (rig, computer, software) is at least as modern as yours. It's simply a point of view on a spirit-of-the-rule interpretation. I've operated many contests in an assisted category, and I've operated even more contests using SCP. I can say with some experience, though, that on occasion SCP helped me make a contact through QRM/QRN more quickly than I otherwise would have been able to do purely by myself. I can get a fill on a the last letter or two of a JA callsign with greater than 90% assurance that it is accurate ... even if I don't hear it.

I used the term "inappropriate" in my original post. Using SCP is perfectly legal in almost every contest, and as I say I've used it myself. I just happen to agree with K6TU that it feels inappropriate when I'm operating unassisted.

Dave   AB7E