Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey results - part 1

To: Matt Murphy <matt@nq6n.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Survey results - part 1
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 23:56:04 -0600
Some of the most-common time-wasters among new contesters I hear are:

1. Unnecessarily repeating phonetics. In most cases, you should be able to say
“nq6n 599 mb”. Only if it’s really challenging or a fill has been requested
does it make sense to say “november quebec….” He knows who he is!

2. A few times, I heard a running station answer with “ve4xt, go ahead” and
then waited for my exchange. Argggh!

3. Sending my call twice before starting the exchange (either as a run station
or in S&P). I know my own call!

4. Sending his/her call twice in the exchange when I’ve already sent it back to
them correctly. “Oh, crap. Did I miss a letter? Should I ask for a fill?”

5. “You are…”, especially when it’s an exchange that doesn’t include
information about me. I know I am, or some such Descartian saying…

6. Using bizarre phonetics. OK, I don’t mind a station doing this during a
low-rate CQ period. Helps generate interest. But once you have a station on the
line, it’s all business. So park the "Kilo 7 Sheldon Says Bazinga" and either
give me it without phonetics, particularly if it’s clear, or with standard
phonetics. An exception is made if you want to pay homage to a certain Hawaiian
with Bloomin’ Zipper Flippers. Worse is the guy who insists on using his
goofball phonetics even after I’ve asked for a fill. Dude, your silly phonetics
are probably WHY I’m not getting it! “NO! Not DELTA. It's GIFELTE!"

7. Using a longer first name than the field space on contest loggers. OK, who
was the prima donna who just needed to call himself Nostradamus in NAQP a
number of years ago?

8. Despite the historical precedent so clearly elucidated by Hans, please copy
should go away…

73, kelly
ve4xt