Re: [CQ-Contest] Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Key Clicks in ARRL DX CW
From: Barry N1EU <n1eu.barry@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 07:31:10 -0500
On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 9:50 PM, David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com> wrote:

> The cleanest rig out of the box in clicks with rise time set correctly and
> not adjustable, and least transmitted IMD, is the Elecraft K3/K3S.

I used a K3s last weekend and used a different radio in CQ WW CW.  I spent
about the same amount of time running but I definitely experienced more key
clicks in this contest.  It is very likely that the cleaner transmitter of
the K3s was opening myself up to being crowded in upon by neighbors who had
clicking transmitters.  Unless something is done about the situation, I
have to seriously ask myself the question whether the cleaner receiver of
the K3 outweighs the greater vulnerability to being "clicked on" as a
result of the cleaner K3s transmitter not warding off encroaching
stations.  It's very ironic.  The best contesting radio might not be the
best contesting radio after all.

It's a huge uphill battle to clean up all those key clickers out there.
Maybe what we need is a MINIMUM SPACING rule for running stations.  It's
absolutely ridiculous (and untenable) that a station can plop down 300hz
away from me because he doesn't hear key clicks from my clean transmitter
and he ends up ruining my run and forcing me to QSY.  Absolutely
unacceptable.

73,
Barry N1EU