Re: [CQ-Contest] May you work yourself at a remote?

To: "'Art Boyars'" <artboyars@gmail.com>, "'CQ-Contest Reflector'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] May you work yourself at a remote?
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 19:19:52 -0500
Art,

Whether or not it is technically possible, and whether or not the rules as
they currently stand would allow this...

If it were me, from a standpoint of my personal ethics, I would not condone
(let alone be part of, from either side) one team member remotely operating
VY1AAA from the computer/remote control system, while another member of the
'on site' team worked that station from another.

It would leave a bad taste in my mouth.  It would (to ME at least) seem too
easy a setup.

To me, it is the functional equivalent of, say, arranging for a friend in a
rare multiplier to "just happen" to be on or about a particular frequency at
a particular time.  Depending on the contest & contest rules, that might be
allowed, and if it's not, there might be a technical loophole to permit it.
But I wouldn't feel right about doing it.

(And in the above example, I'm not talking about, for example, asking a KL7
to keep their ears open in case they happen to hear me on 160.  A vague
request like that is OK.  I'm talking more on the lines of asking that same
KL7 station "if you just happen to be on 1850 SSB around 0400 Z, I might
just be calling CQ around then... "  That's getting specific enough to cross
the line.  IMHO)

No doubt, you will get differing opinions.  And I'm not going to say that
I'm right and the other opinions are wrong.

I'm just saying, in the scenario you laid out above, I wouldn't do it or be
a part of it.  YMMV.  VWPBL(STn).

73, ron w3wn