Re: [CQ-Contest] Open Letter to VE Contesters

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Open Letter to VE Contesters
From: sbloom@acsalaska.net
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 21:38:22 -0900
Maybe I'm just too much of a "well this is just always the way it has been done" type ...but ..it seems to me that anyone seriously contesting is "competing" but they are competing for different things.  Short of radically changing the rules of most contests (and in the process ..making them all depressingly similar) ..we know that ...for example ...winning CQWW is going to require being in a location that enables lots of 3 point Qs the vast majority of the time.  If we are someplace else ...we're competing against whoever is in a reasonably similar situation ...powerwise ..locationwise ..and against our own goals ..whatever some certificate or plaque is in the picture or not.  Similar situations for every other contest.  The only thing I ever ask for ..regarding rules ...is that they be as clear as possible ..and that if technology changes drastically ..that they be adjusted to account for that.  The rest of this seems to be "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin" level stuff.
73
Steve KL7SB

p.s.  I think that working oneself from a remote location in a contest .is probably legally acceptable ....ethically questionable ..but guaranteed to grow hair on the palm of the hand one sends with.