[CQ-Contest] ham spirit

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] ham spirit
From: Steve Sacco NN4X <nn4x@embarqmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 15:27:15 -0500
Jim -

I managed to check myself with your earlier muse, about how everyone else had best step up their game so they can work your QRP signal during contests, but this latest op/ed posting from you has prompted me to put fingers to keyboard.

Regarding " the ham spirit is embodied by building a station, whether it be small or large, and operating it yourself in competition" - I've been searching the Interwebz, in vain, for where it's been decided that K9YC gets to define "ham spirit" for the community at large.

Would you be so kind as to provide a link, or other documentation for same?

Regards,

Steve
NN4X
EL98jh

On 2/25/2016 12:52 PM, Jim Brown wrote:
> What are you smoking? That's not "ham ingenuity," nor is it the ham spirit. It's rationalization, it's about MONEY and PRIVILEGE.
>
> I and many others appreciate setting up VY1JA's remote station and operation during contests, but the result is a great benefit to all contesters in the form of another rare multiplier on the air. Me, or someone else, operating a rent-a-station provides NOTHING to the ham community (unless it also happens to be rare).
>
> More to the point -- the ham spirit is embodied by building a station, whether it be small or large, and operating it yourself in competition. I would get NONE of that by operating a rent-a-station, whether by flying there or using a remote. I live an hour from W6YX and two hours from N6RO. I could easily drive there and operate, but I'm still at extreme disadvantage of scoring rules, and I get none of the satisfaction of generating a score from a station that I've built (with help from my friends, of course). I want to be able to compete with other stations comparable to mine, no matter where they are located.
>
> 73, Jim K9YC
>
> On Thu,2/25/2016 7:45 AM, Gerry Hull wrote:
>> Yes, they do. That is what ham ingenuity and friendships are all about. Those little (and not so little) guys may not get the massive Eu runs from the east ... but they can.
>>
>> Yes, we have commercial companies that will rent you a station. However, look at all the contest stations that sit idle for many events. >> Or, the M/M's that can't staff up due to lack of operators. Everyone has something to offer (operator skill, technical expertise) to other contest station owners in lieu of dollars. Make friends. Do Remote!!

Steve Sacco
NN4X
Narcoossee, FL
EL98jh