Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating (in bridge)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Cheating (in bridge)
From: N1MM <n1mmtomwagner@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 10:10:06 -0500
The parallels to contesting are pretty striking. I particularly like how they "crowd sourced" the analysis of the videos and split the problem into those who could see the cheating pattern and then those who could analyze the hands at the same level as the players. The posting of logs is the contesting equivalent of the videos.

The other parallel I see is that the cheaters he described in bridge are very, very good players. Just like the contesters that win contests by cheating are very, very good operators. I think in both cases the sponsoring organizations are loathe to call out cheating without a "smoking gun."

I used to play a lot of bridge and even competed, albeit not terribly effectively, in national bridge tournaments. I can attest that the best players are incredibly good. Just like in contesting.

73,
Tom - N1MM

Hi,
a great longread in the New Yorker about cheating in bridge. I won't spoil the author's ufb work with some thoroughly crafted cliffhangers. So many things sound familiar and give a fascinating insight into cheating and bridge and psychology. Besides that one may think about "big data" approach to power cheating in our contests, but I don't think of it being realistic soon. So simply enjoy http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/03/07/the-cheating-problem-in-professional-bridge
Best 73, Chris DL8MBS

P.S.: The number of sources quoted may be similar to that necessary to fill a regular daily editon of a newspaper...