Re: [CQ-Contest] K5GO speaks out for youth in contesting

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K5GO speaks out for youth in contesting
From: "ve4xt@mymts.net" <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 12:50:10 -0500
One of the issues that seems to impact immediacy is scoring/log checking.

In video gaming, you know right away how you're doing, not waiting months for
results.

By the same token, contesting needs log checking to establish the winner really
is the winner, and that an operator hasn't padded his log with bogus Qs.

To merge the two you'd need to have all stations online all the time, updating
their entries in real time. Is that realistic? And before you answer, take
yourself out of your own shoes, with your home station online 24/7 and put
yourself in the shoes of a DX-pedition, which may be somewhere the Internet
isn't. Or the city dweller who drives to his offline cottage station because
some silly HOA has banned antennas.

(For a country that values liberty so much, it's amazing how easily many of its
citizens hand themselves over to oppressive overlords running HOAs. I wonder
how many HOAs exist in the Live Free or Die state, but I digress...)

We still want DX-peditions on for contests, yes? We don't want to abandon the
cottage-dwellers, yes? Not everyone can have a decent station at home. And it's
even more compelling an argument when you're trying to dispel notions of
exorbitant costs just to play. (Well, it's not that bad, you just need a few
thousand for towers and antennas, $20,000 for a decent rig, amp and computer.
So, not that bad, except for the $300,000 for a country estate free from
HOAs...)

So, there's more to it than instituting rules about 100% access, real time, to
log data.

73, kelly, ve4xt

Sent from my iPad