Re: [CQ-Contest] K5GO speaks out for youth in contesting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] K5GO speaks out for youth in contesting
From: Richard F DiDonna NN3W <richnn3w@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 23:01:12 -0400
As someone who is much younger than the average ham and hangs out with a younger set of hams (the WWYC) crew, I see this from a variety of angles.

First, its frightening to say, but I was licensed 30 years ago this coming September and I am still well under 50 years old.

Like a lot of contesters and hams, I was active during my teenage years and then went QRT for about 12 years (college, early carrier, marriage, first kid). I didn't get on the air until I bought my second home which sits on 1/3 of an acre of land and has a lot of trees from which to hang antennas. Like the cicadas, I came out of dormancy quickly.

Being one who is younger, I see the problems that many other potential hams likely see.

First, kids today like instant gratification and knowing who wins quickly. You simply don't have that with most any event except WRTC.

Second, the barriers to entry to doing well in contesting is very high. With computing, you need and XBox One ($299), a game (lets say the Division for $55), a headset mike ($59) and your time to play. You're ready for PvP playing for about $425. You can barely even get a radio of any quality for $425. Then you need a license, an antenna, a tuner, a linear, a SWR meter, filters, and the computer to control the radio.

Third, and I hate to say this, but a lot of hams frankly -suck-. They are grossly overweight, unkempt, introverted, and old. Do you honestly think that a 15 or 16 year old kid wants to hang out with a group of 65 and 75 years olds who have little in common with them? I went with my older son to a hamfest to grab a couple of piece of equipment last week. My son commented to me that he wondered if many of the attendees at the hamfest actually had lives.

If that was his opinion (and he's been to several hamfests), I wonder what the opinion of a kid who has never seen a hamfest before would be.

If you're going to attract kids, I recommend you do it in things like Scouts where you don't have a single kid in isolation. While my grandfather was licensed and a major reason for my getting licensed, the fact that two of my close friends got licensed around the same time (including one who is still active), certainly help retain my interest. Its better to get them in pairs or groups than singletons.

73 Rich NN3W