Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it just me ?

To: Trent Sampson <vk4ts@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Is it just me ?
From: Bob Poortinga <ng9m@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2016 20:18:54 -0600
Trent Sampson <vk4ts@outlook.com> wrote:

> Is it just me or do others see a sort of nonsensical category in the WPX with
> tribander single element, single band categories ?

It must be just you. ;-)

> Some must gain satisfaction from first place Tribander Single element 160M
> but is it really something that helps activity or does it please the
> Certificate hunters and as such needs to be retained ?

Trent, if you read the contest rules, it would make perfect sense. The
category overlay is called TB-WIRES (Tribander/Wires). This overlay
requires a single tribander on 20/15/10 AND simple wire antennas on
40/80/160. So if my only antenna on 160m is an inverted-L, I can use
the TB-WIRES overlay to differentiate my 160m SB log from those
stations that have 4-squares and other complex antennas. I sometimes
enter contests as 40m SB and use the TB-WIRES overlay since I have a
simple wire antenna and I don't want to compete against stations that
have 40m beams.

73 de Bob NG9M