Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting keyboard

To: "Martin , LU5DX" <lu5dx@lucg.com.ar>, "n6bk@yahoo.com" <n6bk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contesting keyboard
From: Michael Adams <mda@n1en.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2016 17:55:24 +0000
I used a Steelseries Merc Stealth gaming keyboard for a while, because of the
programmable buttons, but gave it up due to realizing I was more dependent on
the Ins/Home/PgUp/PgDn/End/Del key block (not present on that device) than I
thought.

Now I use a Logitech G510 keyboard, plus a G13 "gameboard".  The layout of the
programmable keys isn't as ergonomically friendly as the Merc Stealth, but the
G510 does add a discrete USB sound device that might be of use in some
situations.

All of those keyboards are corded, but I have had no RF issues with them
(although I do, out of habit, put ferrite beads on every USB cable in the
shack).

They're probably overkill for most contesters, but they spare me from wasting
brain cycles trying to remember some keyboard shortcuts, and make it possible
for different programs to have the same keystrokes to do the same jobs.

Now, if all you're trying to do is work around a pesky laptop keyboard, where
you think you have to press Fn+F1 (instead of just F1) to call CQ, you might
not need the extra keyboard.  AutoHotKey can handle key remaps, although you
might have to do some research/experimentation to determine the codes needed to
meet your particular situation.

--
Michael Adams | mda@n1en.org