Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 11:24:41 -0700
On Tue,7/26/2016 7:37 AM, Jeff AC0C wrote:
I built the stubs up on an as-needed basis with whatever I had laying about; there's no LMR400 around here. It's all RG-11 or 213. 213 has a bit better attenuation dip and is more rugged. All of the T connectors were Chinese specials initially and later most were swapped with AMP parts that I ran across at swaps and hamfests. Never blew up a Chinese one though so can't say the 50 year old AMP are better.

An excellent reply, Jeff. I wouldn't have gone to the trouble to write mine if I'd seen yours first. :)

The only thing I disagree with is the use of the cheap Chinese tees. When I got back on the air in 2004 after many years QRT, I bought a bunch of those shiny cheap adapters so I would have them around. Over the next 4-5 years (until I figured out they were all crap), they caused me LOTS of problems that were a real pain to chase down -- intermittents, overheating, even adapters that fell apart! I had an elbow overheat an hour into a contest -- the connection was a tiny spring! A couple of runs to remotely located 6M and 2M antennas and brick amps were intermittent -- they were a real PITA to chase through the attic of my house in Chicago. Another went intermittent in a 10M Yagi here in CA.

73, Jim K9YC