Re: [CQ-Contest] “You can’t have a Dayton Hamvention in Las Vegas, Nevad

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] “You can’t have a Dayton Hamvention in Las Vegas, Nevada,”
From: Herbert Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 14:29:13 -0400
I looks like Cincinnati would be worth consideration.

On 7/30/2016 12:52 PM, Jim Stahl via CQ-Contest wrote:
Keep in mind that for a lot of people, not necessarily us contesters who love to hang out at the Crowne
Plaza at night, what makes Dayton is the flea market. You’ll never have a good flea market where
people predominately fly in. You can’t haul stuff to sell on an airplane, and you can’t haul
home what you buy. Or in the case of places like Orlando, even if us snowbirds drive to the show, we still
can’t haul home a big relay rack of equipment when we head north in the spring.

Also, the Hamvention is put on by a largely volunteer crew. DARA started small in the
50’s, and have acquired the experience over the years. I doubt a new volunteer crew
could instantly pick up the knowledge to run such a big show. While other cities like
Columbus have facilities far nicer than HARA, I don’t know of any that have an in
place radio club ready to take on the task.

In the meanwhile, if you don’t care about flea markets, visit Visalia.

73  -  Jim   K8MR