Re: [CQ-Contest] How to start a run

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] How to start a run
From: "Jeff AC0C" <keepwalking188@ac0c.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2016 21:28:49 -0500
W6SX Hank is always sounding good on the RTTY contests. He's all wire, open feed, Matchboxes. But he's an experienced op and has an amp.

I've been a micro signal, a moderate signal and a decent signal - from the Midwest - over the last 10 years. Here are my thoughts:

1. If you have to ask how to run on the reflector, I hope I am not being presumptuous in saying that perhaps you have not spent enough time running S&P and working contests. There is no magic bullet.

2. You have to be loud enough that the other guy does not think you are too weak to ignore. There is no substitute for power and antennas. If you are QRP or 100W - and you have a dipole - then you are going to be crushed by everyone else who has something more.

3. If you cannot compete on signal strength, then you have to leverage skill (which comes from working contests to learn the basic skill) - and to consider how you can tilt the field in your favor. All things being equal, it's easier to run in CW and RTTY than in SSB. It's easier to run higher up in the band than lower. It's easier to run on the off band (which now is 40 or 15) than to try to elbow into 20m in the prime daytime slots.

4. Pick the right contest - for example NAQP and FD are easy to run - WPX SSB or the ARRL DX is a lot harder.

5. A good way to get some run time is to go to a more potent station in your area and beg some chair time.

6. Consider why you want to run. The contest sage of "if you are not running you are losing" only applies if you are able to run rate consistently over time. It's easier to work on S&P with tough band condx or with a marginal signal than trying to run and getting pushed off your QRG after only a couple of minutes.

73/jeff/ac0c
www.ac0c.com
alpha-charlie-zero-charlie

-----Original Message----- From: Steve London