Re: [CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future

To: Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 10:19:52 -0500
> Any other approach panders to new members and the true goals of the arrl - increase the bottom line dollars in the coffers!!

It is a persistent canard that the ARRL is somehow "all about the dollars." (Note - I am not ARRL staff, just a Life Member who happens to write a lot of stuff for the League.) True, the ARRL is a membership organization, but I think this should be seen as more a question of whether amateur radio will remain viable in the U.S. (and with it the ARRL) if the amateur service does not adapt. The ARRL has its own organizational modernization challenges to contend with and those are proving to be as painful as the CW/RTTY/data realignment. Change is hard. I get it.

I am a CW operator the vast majority of the time with an occasional stint on phone or RTTY. I am so CW-centric that I don't have P5 in the log because 4L5FN didn't break out a straight key until just before he left the country. So I am one of your "bubbas" (although I prefer "geezer") but I am not unaware of the reputation tradition has of changing from a guide into a jailer.

Along with being internationally good guys, U.S. hams are mandated by 97.1 to provide emergency communications, push the envelope, and train operators in presumably current techniques. CW and RTTY should be a part of that but we must give up the notion that they will be a dominant aspect of amateur radio as they once were. I hope both will always be a vigorous part of ham radio but I hope more strongly there will always be ham radio and recognize we have to, yes, get with the program to insure our long-term survival. If that means some inconvenience to me when using my preferred mode, so be it.

73, Ward N0AX