Re: [CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 21:36:14 -0500
Well, it's an important conversation - this is a transitional period in ham radio (just like at several points in the past) and we need to consider the issues in moving forward.

I don't see any of the human-copy modes going completely away. Like Charly said, they're fun, and like a lot of other sports, music, and recreations, they will likely remain popular despite there being more effective means of communication. And I think they can hold their own in the face of competition - IF their practitioners are willing to be flexible and adapt to the changing circumstances. We've already come quite a long way, truth be told, but getting along requires accepting the validity of someone else's use of the ham bands. There's that behavior thing again :-)

Anyway, from a separate conversation about RTTY, there is a need for a reasonable-speed, session-less (what the Handbook's chapter 16 refers to as "unstructured"), keyboard-to-keyboard mode. Like RTTY but with a fuller character set (like 7-bit ASCII), more robust encoding, and less susceptibility to selective fading. Maybe a variant or derivative of DominoEX or Olivia? A higher-speed phase-locked version of PSK31? We use RTTY out of inertia because it was the only game in town for a long time and could be decoded by simple circuits and microprocessors back in the day. Maybe RTTY is "good enough" for DXing and contesting but I'm sure we can do better. With software like FLDIGI supporting dozens of modes over a common audio interface, changing modes would only involve a menu selection. Protocol development is a hotbed of innovation and a real feather in the amateur's technical cap.

Whatever.  I understand why people are concerned.

73, Ward N0AX