Re: [CQ-Contest] Log what was sent

To: "'CQ Contest'" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log what was sent
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 22:25:01 -0400
Well, let's see here.

Let's say that in an upcoming IARU contest, someone, hypothetically, gets
permission to operate from UN NY.  Maybe not as 4U1UN, but as 4U/their call.

But this person makes a mistake, and sends CQ Zone 5 instead of ITU Zone 8
as part of their exchange.  Obvious mistake to us experienced contesters,
but things happen.

So our hypothetical operator makes 100 contacts.  All of whom submit their
log.  And hypothetical doesn't.

So, 75 ops recognize that the exchange was wrong and correct it to what it
should be.  25 either do not, or decide to send in the contact as received.

Who is right?  Who is wrong?  Who should be penalized?

OTOH, hypothetical op DOES send in a check log, with a note that said op
made the aforementioned mistake.  Something which the other 100 ops may and
probably would not be aware of.

All else being equal, do the 75 ops who 'corrected' the exchange in the logs
deserve to penalized?  Sadly, there is no ambiguity in this second case.
They did NOT log (or changed their log after the fact) what was sent.

The first case, though, is a grey area.  In theory, the 75 ops should (IMHO)
be treated the same way, but how would the contest organizers/log checkers
know what was actually sent?

Therefore, IMHO:  Log what was sent.  If it doesn't seem right, question it.
If the station sending the questionable report repeats the same thing, don't
argue.  Log it.  As sent.  And if it still seems obviously wrong, alert the
contest committee when you submit your log.  If EVERYONE who works this
station does this, there should be no further ambiguity.

73, ron w3wn