Re: [CQ-Contest] Need confidence....

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Need confidence....
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 20:31:17 -0700
What radios and what separation? What power level? Serious common mode chokes on each antenna at the feedpoint? Some radios are a LOT better than others.

On our CQP county expeditions, we regularly run two K3/KPA500 stations into two C3SS on the same band, one on CW and one on SSB, with spacing of about 200 ft, on 20, 15, and 10, and with no interference. The antennas are aimed to 70 degrees and are carefully placed with their driven elements co-linear. We've run two on 40 and two on 80 with dipoles separated by about 300 ft.

There's a review of multiple bandpass filter sets on my website, all of which are intended to run between the rig and the power amp. SOME sort of harmonic suppression filter is needed on the output of power amps so that harmonically related CW stations don't wipe out the RX of the station on the higher band. Stubs work quite well for that. See the piece on my website about that.

This doesn't answer your question about high power bandpass filters or triplexers, but there are other solutions, depending on your resources and the constraints imposed by your site.

Another point. Antennas resonant on a single band at a time inherently help with harmonic suppression because the antenna is badly mismatched to the feedline at the harmonic. For that reason, the small 2-el SteppIR is an awfully good choice. It's quite lightweight,and collapses rather well.

73, Jim K9YC