Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoring and Quick Submissions

To: Kevan Nason <knason00@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoring and Quick Submissions
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 10:18:17 -0600
> If you go to a place that doesn’t have the
> net you aren’t likely to be using a competitive station and won’t have a
> shot at beating your chest in triumph anyway.

I call BS on this one. Sorry.

Heard Island is going to rock a contest, simply by virtue of its rarity.

A cottage station in VE4 can rock SS, simply by virtue of Manitoba’s relative
rarity.

Just because you don’t have Internet doesn’t mean you don’t have access to
concrete or can only put up wires.

At least one winner of ARRL DX last year was a Field-Day style station, set up
on a cliff facing the U.S.

Some of these stories are some of the greatest stories we have. That so-and-so
won with more than a thousand feet of tower, 200 total elements and more Alpha
than Alpha Centauri isn’t a great story. A victory is almost expected at that
point.

You can’t assume everyone operates with the same infrastructure you do, and you
can’t assume those who don’t are automatically inferior.

Real-time scoring would be a great contest-within-a-contest. It would help
attract new contesters and push the boundaries of contest reporting. But making
it mandatory would drive away a large part of your existing customers. More so,
I’d argue, than it would attract.

73, kelly, ve4xt,