Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoring and Quick Submissions

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Real Time Scoring and Quick Submissions
From: "Mike Smith VE9AA" <ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2016 14:38:09 -0400
As usual, Kelly spins some wonderful words that I could not possibly improve
upon.

I like reading all contesting stories, good, bad, LP, HP and especially the
QRP guy.

The ones that impress me the LEAST are the ones from a $500k station who
decimated his competition.

The ones that impress me the MOST are the ones of a guy going into the Artic
(or anywhere), stringing up some wires, verticals (whatever) and

won their category with a K3 balanced on a rock, inside an igloo, whatever
(you get my gist)

I agree that you certainly do NOT need the internet to win a contest.  You
only need skill, a decent station and the desire to win.

You certainly do NOT need assistance.  (compare SO to SO(A) and see for
yourself)

Well said Kelly!

Mike VE9AA (usually UNassisted).I usually only do assisted in contests that
make no distinction between the 2 categories, like WAG, WAE , some QSO
parties etc.

> If you go to a place that doesn't have the

> net you aren't likely to be using a competitive station and won't have a

> shot at beating your chest in triumph anyway.

VE4XT: I call BS on this one. Sorry.

Heard Island is going to rock a contest, simply by virtue of its rarity.

A cottage station in VE4 can rock SS, simply by virtue of Manitoba's
relative

rarity.

Just because you don't have Internet doesn't mean you don't have access to

concrete or can only put up wires.

At least one winner of ARRL DX last year was a Field-Day style station, set
up

on a cliff facing the U.S.

Some of these stories are some of the greatest stories we have. That
so-and-so

won with more than a thousand feet of tower, 200 total elements and more
Alpha

than Alpha Centauri isn't a great story. A victory is almost expected at
that

point.

Mike, Coreen & Corey

Keswick Ridge, NB