Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham
From: DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2016 16:44:19 -0500
Mike,

My son is not a ham, but some of the things you described were mentioned by him the few times I tried to guide him towards joining the hobby.

He is 19, and the competition for his attention now is overwhelming. I think you have to get them much younger, or wait for them to get older.

One thing neither you or your son mentioned, is the silly behavior we hear on the bands sometimes. My son happened to hear these things a few times, and wondered what was going on.

I told him those were exceptions to the rule, to just look at his dad and his friends, but it did make a negative impression.

73 de Vince, VA3VF