Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

To: Jukka Klemola <jpklemola@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 10:54:52 -0700

I don't even know why you made that comparison (TicTacToe .... really???) , because it doesn't fit at all. Go watch some YouTube videos or Twitch streams of people playing Smite, Rift, Warcraft, Guild Wars II, League of Legends, or even the venerable World of Warcraft ... you will see a pretty incredible set of skillsets and thrust/parry on display at a pace that boggles the mind. Stuff that takes a LOT of time to get good at, and just as much focus as any top flight radiosport operator in the world. Again, I'm not saying that building and operating a competitive radiosport station doesn't require phenomenal skill, but it DOES take a lot of money and a lot of time outside of the actual competition. A $50 internet connection (which most hams have anyway) and a $700 or less computer (which most hams have anyway) will put you in the gaming action immediately.

No license is required, although most gamers who are serious about it spent a lot of time studying builds and strategies on the various online forums. And I'd venture there are far more gamers who have built their own computers than contesters who have build their own radios.

Why do I take such umbrage over your reply? Because it is exactly why contesting is never going to compete with online competitive gaming. You're trying to justify why radiosport should have more appeal to youngsters without having a clue why it doesn't. Not understanding or acknowledging the source of the problem means it won't ever change.

Dave   AB7E