Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 11:05:37 -0700

On 12/19/2016 4:31 AM, Ed Sawyer wrote:

The excuse that bad on the air behavior is somehow a problem is bogus.  Just
check out the garbage on line that the kids are used to and ignore ad it
doesn't dissuade them from being on line.

Totally agree with this. The in-game chat boxes in many (most, probably) games are absolutely toxic and can be disturbingly abusive, but that doesn't dissuade most from playing. There is a difference, though ... you can pretty easily ignore the comments and even turn them off completely if you want.

Contest DXpeditions, antenna farms, the science of propagation and space
weather, then adding the competitive part is the uniqueness of our hobby.
Trying to compare it to gaming is an effort in futility and doesn't respect
what we actually do.

I also agree with this. But it also points out that we're talking different motivations for both activities, and the reality is that the appeal (as well as the cost in terms of dollars and time) is totally different. We aren't going to make contesting more popular by limiting it to its historical aspects.

The next time you are out in the snow is sub zero weather fixing your 160
antenna before a contest, you might want to remind yourself of that.

Now there's a sales pitch for a prospective contester if I ever heard one. ;)

73,
Dave   AB7E