Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

To: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham
From: Dave Edmonds <dave@pkministrywebs.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 14:16:13 -0500
One of the best ways to get kids involved with amateur radio is having a
school club/station. In this scenario, there are other kids in the mix with
similar interests.. I'm sure that this is easier said than done. There are
many schools out there that do have stations. In this way, you're taking
the hobby to the kids.

I was the 12 year old kid (1975) who went to the local club meeting and the
average age was around 45... It didn't matter to me... I participated in
Field Days. There were several Elmers involved...non-family members.

Dave, WN4AFP

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 1:05 PM, David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
wrote:

> On 12/19/2016 4:31 AM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
>

>> The excuse that bad on the air behavior is somehow a problem is bogus.
>> Just
>> check out the garbage on line that the kids are used to and ignore ad it
>> doesn't dissuade them from being on line.
>>

> Totally agree with this.  The in-game chat boxes in many (most, probably)
> games are absolutely toxic and can be disturbingly abusive, but that
> doesn't dissuade most from playing.  There is a difference, though ... you
> can pretty easily ignore the comments and even turn them off completely if
> you want.
>

>> Contest DXpeditions, antenna farms, the science of propagation and space
>> weather, then adding the competitive part is the uniqueness of our hobby.
>> Trying to compare it to gaming is an effort in futility and doesn't
>> respect
>> what we actually do.
>>

> I also agree with this.  But it also points out that we're talking
> different motivations for both activities, and the reality is that the
> appeal (as well as the cost in terms of dollars and time) is totally
> different.  We aren't going to make contesting more popular by limiting it
> to its historical aspects.
>

>> The next time you are out in the snow is sub zero weather fixing your 160
>> antenna before a contest, you might want to remind yourself of that.
>>

> Now there's a sales pitch for a prospective contester if I ever heard
> one.   ;)
>
> 73,
> Dave   AB7E

Dave Edmonds