Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a Young Ham

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a Young Ham
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 09:35:11 -0700
Pierre,

Are you not getting spotted on CW or SSB or both.

I have noticed that people are far more reluctant to spot on SSB. Maybe we have just got lazy because RBN spots pretty much everything on CW for us. You know you can test your signals and look on the RBN to see what nodes heard you. I use this to test new antennas and compare the results as best I can.

Your story and what you can or cannot put up is a common story and is becoming more common. Almost all new housing areas have HOA's or restrictions, which makes if far more difficult for hams to find ham radio property close to their office or area where they desire to live. Maybe we need to have more classes or create a class that is a base system of a 100 watt radio and a vertical or dipoles no more than 50 ft in the air or similar. Yes I know that CQ has an overlay. In my mind overlays are like a tie or kissing your system to use some cliches. Obviously the guy in Maine with the same setup is most likely going to beat the same setup in Minnesota for CQ WW but maybe not in NAQP or SS or some other non DX contest. We will never get to a completely level playing field but how close can we get in non WRTC events?

W0MU