Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 21:06:50 -0700

I think you are making the very point you seem to have missed. Video gaming and radiosport AREN'T parallel activities. Video gaming is popular with a broader range of people (particularly young people) precisely because it is NOT the same as radiosport. Previous posts here have listed all kinds of differences and the reasons they make a difference ... you just choose to ignore them.

Most hams make the mistake of thinking we can draw more outsiders into the hobby by publicity or trying to capture them at an early age (kind of like brainwashing), and totally miss the point that if we can't make radiosport accessible and interesting in the same way that video gaming is we aren't going to attract anyone. We can try to persuade all we want, but we have at least a couple of decades history that should show us just how uninteresting our hobby is to to just about everyone else. It doesn't mean we have to turn radiosport into gaming, but we sure as hell should pay attention to the differences in mechanics that make one so popular and the other so relatively insignificant (there is probably a 100,000 to 1 ratio in active participation). If we don't change radiosport in ways to make it more appealing, nothing else is going to matter.

And maybe that's OK. There are hundreds of other niche competitive hobbies out there ... competitive quilting, competitive BBQ, even competitive hot dog and pie eating. Just because we once had a somewhat mainstream hobby doesn't mean we always will, but those of us who enjoy it can still enjoy it ... at least for a while. Most likely after we're gone nobody else is going to miss it (radiosport) anyway.

73,
Dave   AB7E