Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham
From: Joe <nss@mwt.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 09:09:15 -0600

On 12/20/2016 11:27 PM, Wes Jennings wrote:

I like that idea of a contest also.

But my absolute favorite beginner contest was the "Novice Roundup"

NOT the New incarnation, I HATE IT! And by the level of participation it has experienced so does the Amateur community.

look at the level of participation, it now has, compared to what someone that was restricted to CW only, even crystal controlled only, etc. back in dem old days. In those old days to win a state you had to make hundreds of contacts! Now with this new contest, there are many states where if you make one contact you would win an take first palce!

The Classic version from like the 70's was AWESOME!! You had this HUGE window of time to operate, But little actual time. You learned about propagation, and time management because you had a Nine day operating window, ( 216 Hours ) But could not operate more than 24.

You had to think, When is the best time to get on? 3 AM on a Tuesday? or Saturday afternoon at 3 PM?

You have a large block of un worked multipliers in 7 land. When will propagation on what band be best to that area so you can try to get some of them?

Plus with a Nine day window, There was no excuse for 99% of the people entering to be able to get the full 24 hours used up.

The only Change I'd make to that old classic to bring it up to date is make Three entry classes.

Traditional Novice,
Where the person operating has had their license less than two years. Kind of takes the spin of the old Novice license, where it lasted two years and was NOT renewable.

Contest Newbie,
Where anyone can be in this class, be they licensed for six days or sixty years. But, To qualify for this class, you can only enter it for two years consecutively. Again a Spin on the old 2 year Novice License.

Veteran,
This class would be for everyone else. The old Novice Roundup, and the New Rookie Roundup missed this one. They always encouraged us contest veterans to go and work the newbies. But all we ever were was checklogs. I'd say make us a class also. With one Restriction, We can ONLY work the other two classes. But still be a competition for us too. This would be amazing for US and imagine the newbies being the stations looked for. It would give a lot of incentive for them to do something that few try. Set up and "RUN" a frequency. Yet us old-timers have a contest in it too.

Thoughts?

Joe WB9SBD

Ok Gerry,

one of the thoughts is to create a new contest where it is a elmer and a rookie

Rookie operates and 3 modes are used in blocks of 4 hrs each .

SSB

CW

RTTY

the elmer is there to assist but not to operate the radio but help with
spotting and searching.