Re: [CQ-Contest] Station design and ergonomics

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Station design and ergonomics
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2017 12:26:50 -0700
Caffeine is not a friend of us on blood pressure meds. I would also suggest avoiding the fake sugar diet sodas. To each their own on that one.

Headphones are completely personal and I usually have a couple of choice to turn to if my ears start to bother me. Some people love the ear buds, I prefer a noise cancelling headphone/set. No need to buy expensive common ham name brands especially with RX/TX equalization that is in most rigs these days. I use Able Planet noise cancelling headphones normally for CW only but I really like the Yamaha CM50's too. The Able Planets are much much much cheaper than Bose. Bose might work a bit better on an airplane but I can't tell in a shack.

Stand up if you can. I want to buy the standing desk platforms you can buy but have not got around to it. Move your legs a lot when sitting. Sitting for long periods of time can lead to blood clots and worse.

Sleep in 90 minute periods waking in the middle of REM sleep is tough.

I have never been THE CW guy but the older I get the more I seem to prefer CW contests over SSB contests. Listening to terrible, overdriven, poorly recorded messages gets to me after a while. I sometime wonder of those stations know just how bad their CQ machine really sounds....... Elecraft offers a 1.8 filter that many find tolerable. Sometimes I find wider is better and let your brain handle the mess.

I would agree that backing off the RF gain is valuable. Also use other antennas to listen to so that you can minimize the interference and make the station easy to work. Null out the bad noise do not always go for max gain in the intended direction for RECEIVE.

Good Luck

W0MU