[CQ-Contest] Yet another ARRL rules that need to be fixed

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Yet another ARRL rules that need to be fixed
From: Jim Stahl via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 10:35:30 -0400
Speaking of ARRL rules that ought to be fixed:

(General rules for all contests)

3.3.An operator may not use more than one call sign from any given location
during the contest period.
. . .
3.5.A transmitter used to contact one or more stations may not be subsequently
used under any other call during the contest period, except for family stations
where more than one call has been issued, and then only if the second call sign
is used by a different operator. (The intent of this rule is to accommodate
family members who must share a rig and to prohibit manufactured or artificial
contacts.)
-----------------------------

I understand what is trying to be avoided: manufactured contacts for a favored
station or stations. But these rules do little to achieve that. Somebody
passing such contacts simply won’t be submitting a log for the manufactured
contacts.

What is being outlawed here is the ability to start over fresh and make more
QSOs, and still being able to get credit both as a published score and as a
contribution to a club score.

CQ contests don’t have this rule. In the CQ160CW contest this year, I operated
from my Florida condo QTH on the first night as K8MR, and on the second night
as W3USA. I had 57 QSOs as K8MR, 78 as W3USA. I worked 29 people from both
calls, 28 uniques from MR, and 47 uniques from USA. (Interestingly, in the 2016
ARRL 160 contest I had 78 QSOs spread over the two nights as K8MR.)

I had more fun in the CQ contest working those 29 people a second time, and I
trust they did not mind the work of pulling my very weak signal out of the
noise for another QSO. I spent more time in the CQ test than I would have if I
had to just tune past those people I’d worked the first night. In short,
everybody benefitted from my using two calls from the same location with the
same transmitter.

I would certainly agree with certain limits, as in to avoid the “now listen for
my other call” follow up QSOs. Perhaps a time off limit for the first call
after having made a QSO with another call (an hour?) or a rule that a call
could not be used at all after a second call was used.

But if the goal is to have people active and making QSOs in contests, let
people start over as fresh meat with a new call.

73  -  Jim   K8MR