[CQ-Contest] Interleaving QSO's

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Interleaving QSO's
From: D Rodman MD <rodman@buffalo.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 12:23:39 -0400
I wanted to make two points about interleaving QSO's, our latest hot topic, without either endorsing or condemning the practice.

First, PJ4G was NOT the originator of this concept. I do not recall, however, who developed the idea but it has been used for several years at many stations (including PJ4G) without a flood of entrants turning to this technology as far as I can see. The fact that many more stations have not turned to this practice in order to get the edge on competition may be present for many reasons, including insufficient knowledge that the practice actually occurred or was even possible, lack of commercially made equipment to simplify the process of switching and control in the station or lack of HF equipment with variable parameters capable of controlling the interleaving interfaces or the complexity of band pass isolation permitting the second station to hear on the same band unimpeded by the other transmitter. Obviously, not every station has the layout both internally and with requisite antennas to accomplish this. It can be rather complex sometimes to heap one problem onto another with regards to isolation.

Secondly, any multi station can interleave QSO's merely by putting two ops at one radio, splitting the audio connections and sharing the microphone time. I admit, this is not as nice as having a second transmitter because you are going to have the second operator talking into your ear but there are still going to be on air delays caused by the other operator transmitting anyway. Having a second transmitter really isn't all that necessary at times, especially if the VFO's can be split to control separate transmit or receive antennas for additional directional coverage.

Again, I neither endorse nor condemn the practice. I mention these issues only to discuss more of the technical features of the situation that was brought up with the PJ4G audio recording.

What we do with all this is now possibly up to the advisors and rule makers, now that the "cat is out of the bag" so to speak.

--
David J Rodman MD
Assistant Clinical Professor

Office 716-857-8654