Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW LCR's and log scrubbing

To: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW LCR's and log scrubbing
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt@mymts.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2017 11:54:46 -0500
(This is directed at the thread, not to counter anything written by K3ZJ)

The X-QSO tool is a sound practice of correcting for brain cramps. I do not
believe anyone would want a big multi-op station’s entire weekend ruined by
inadvertently screwing up the 10-minute rule or misjudging when to get back on
after a mandated break period. X-QSO allows for that, as you are not claiming
credit for QSOs made in violation.

Golf is one of the most-scrutinized ‘honor’ sports there is, to the point
viewers on TV can even spot violations and notify organizers by email. However,
even if such violations prove true, the golfer’s entire tournament is not
necessarily lost: a penalty is applied for failing to claim a stroke and a
further penalty is claimed for filing a false scorecard.

However, if the golfer identifies the violation and records the appropriate
penalty before submitting the scorecard, all is good. This can happen at ANY
TIME before submitting the card — at the time of the violation or after holing
out the 18th. Either way, the score still counts, even if failing to record a
penalty carries very punitive consequences.

Is the X-QSO not the same as saying, “Hey, I moved that ball before striking
it, so I’m taking the penalty stroke.”?

The scenario raised features an unassisted op working a bunch of packet spots
and then marking each as X-QSO. This is interesting, but I don’t see the point,
since X-QSO means the QSOs don't count at all: you don’t get the QSO points nor
do you get the multipliers. It’s in the log so the people you worked don’t pay
for your mistake, but you gain no benefit from the QSOs.

73, kelly, ve4xt