Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Committee blog post - audio recording

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQ WW Committee blog post - audio recording
From: Ron Notarius W3WN <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 09:58:25 -0500 (CDT)
OK, so we have a little potential ambiguity here, based on interpretation.

A per Jorge's recent post:

C. Audio Recordings: Any single operator entrant (see V.A.1) competing for a
top three finish at the (a) World, (b) Continent, or (c) USA levels, must
record the transmitted and received audio as heard by the operator for the
duration of the contest operation

So... follow the scenario here:

Someone who is operating in the contest as a Single Operator does better than
s/he expected.  Sends in his/her log, nor expecting to win anything, just to
see their call in the listings.  For any of a variety of legitimate reasons,
and much to their surprise, ends up on the Top 3 at one or more of the levels
noted in the rules.  But a question comes up, and the committee requests the
audio recording.

Does this mean that this individual, who was at the time of the contest
operating for fun and personal goals, but NOT operating with the intention of
competing for a "top three finish" at any level, now gets DQ'd (or at least
potentially DQ'd)?

At the time this rule was put in place, I was under the impression, and please
correct me if I was/am wrong, that the intention of it was to ensure that those
who operated with the expectation that they were in contention for a Top 3 or
better finish could be further scrutinized if and as necessary -- but ONLY
those operating with that expectation would have to be concerned.

Is this rule now being interpreted or implemented to imply that ANYONE who
submits a non-check log, regardless of their intention at the time they are
operating the contest or immediately thereafter, needs to start recording the
contest, just in case the dominoes fall in their favor and they end up as a top
finisher?

This is not as absurd of a scenario as it may first appear.  Should you have
some top tier scores reclassified to another category or outright DQ'd, it
stands to reason that others now move up.  So the guy who thought he placed,
say, a distant 5th is now suddenly in 3rd, because one station ahead of him got
DQ'd, and another voluntarily changed to a check log or got put in a different
category.

I ask not because I want to exonerate, let alone justify, those miscreants who
are caught.  But we don't want to throw out the proverbial baby with the
bathwater, either, in our zeal to catch and nail the cheaters.  Or do we?

73, ron w3wn