Re: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting explanation from CQWW blog

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Self-spotting explanation from CQWW blog
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 10:49:14 -0600
Why do we have to have cars?

Nobody has to have anything. Spotting and RBN exists and I doubt that it is going to go away anytime soon.

Nobody has to use spots. It is sure nice to get spotted at times. It is a huge advantage to get spotted and stay spotted. Why? Obviously because a bunch of people, participants, passerby's use packet to find DX or to work mults in domestic contests for whatever reasons they have.

It is so important that people people have broken rules to get the spots.

The world is changing. People now have more options on entertainment than ever before. Peoples time is being used up like never before.

Not specific to contesting, but to spotting, I can be working my home office job and be notified of things I want to work with spots that would otherwise be unavailable to me. It allows me to be more active in my hobby than if I had to sit and tune myself. People have many other interests other than radio today. Is it the end of the world to miss a spot? No. Does it allow me to play more radio, yes! This is a good thing.

If we turned off all the packet clusters, spotting, Facebook and RBN and every other form of spotting today, not one operator is going to suddenly get smarter, they won't know any better how to break pileups, everything that is a problem in contesting and blamed on technology is still going to be there.

W0MU