[CQ-Contest] Dayton Hamvention

To: "'cq-contest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <cq-contest@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Dayton Hamvention
From: ac0w@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 18:07:26 -0500
Overall an excellent job by DARA in getting things functional in a new
location. As with anything you can always find things that can be
improved. DARA fixed things they could as they came up while other
things will have to wait until next year.
The mud in the flea market, there are some simple solutions to that.
The mud in the parking area a little more challenging but still
possible to get a lot of it under control.
Some of the changes may require investment by the fair board. How much
money the fair board is willing to invest depends on what type of
economic impact we have on the area. I mentioned this as XYL and I
stopped at a local restaurant Saturday afternoon and visited with the
manager. We talked about the Hamvention a little. He indicated a lot
of local business were really disappointed in how few hams stopped in
their business when the community tried to roll out the red carpet for
us.
This particular person use to be manager at some restaurant by Hara
and said they were always full of hams during Hamvention so he was
surprised to hardly seen any. I can come up with a couple of reasons
for not hitting the local restaurants, such as all the good food
choices at Hamvention and it not being as easy to run out to the local
restaurant as it was at Hara. Another is the new location my focus was
just learning and figuring out how to get there.
Bottom line is next year lets try to leave a few greenbacks with the
local business as it will make DARA's job easier in getting some
changes made they may want. I know next year I will do a better job of
trying to hit some of the local businesses.
Last comment, all the 600 plus volunteers were great. XYL, myself and
many of the attendees that I saw tried to thank the volunteers
whenever possible. Just like to publicly thank the volunteers for
everything they did in helping making this an enjoyable event and I
hope to see many of them again next year.
73BillAC0W

 Message: 3