Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day

To: Bob Burns W9BU <w9bu_lists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Field Day
From: Tom Haavisto <kamham69@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 23:42:32 -0400
I had an interesting chat with another contester at Dayton a few years
ago.  The conversation was along the lines of - we - as contesters can go
to Field Day, sit down and make a pile of Q's.  And it would miss a LOT of
what Field Day has to offer.  What he suggested was - go to Field Day, and
be a mentor, and help out where needed.  Is the op having problems
logging?  Do the logging for him, and show him how its done.  Use a
headphone splitter, and help them copy calls.  See what phonetics they are
using, and offer suggestions that guide them towards proper phonetics.

Another area where we can help out is with antennas.  For example, some
folks might think a 40 meter dipole 10 feet off the ground "should work
fine".  Suggest they install it as a vertical or inverted L instead - will
work better.

And on down the list.

I did this a few years ago in Winnipeg, and it was a GREAT learning
experience for me, and the other ops I sat with.

Tom - VE3CX