Re: [CQ-Contest] third-party communications in DX contests (was: KU1CW l

To: "'Dick Green WC1M'" <wc1m73@gmail.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] third-party communications in DX contests (was: KU1CW location)
From: "Ed Sawyer" <sawyered@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2017 19:21:35 -0400
Dick.  As you said, its debated.  I disagree with your interpretation.

>From Part 97:

97.115 Third Party Communications:

The third party may participate in stating the message where:

(1) The control operator is present at the control point and is continuously
monitoring and supervising the third party's participation;

97.117   International communications.

Transmissions to a different country, where permitted, shall be limited to
communications incidental to the purposes of the amateur service and to
remarks of a personal character.

Definitions:

Third party communications. A message from the control operator (first
party) of an amateur station to another amateur station control operator
(second party) on behalf of another person (third party).

To me, it is quite clear.  If an unlicensed person is making ANY
communication from a US Amateur Station to a another Amateur Station - that
person is in fact a third party.  If they are not a third party, what is the
definition of this person?  Since a third party is involved, those
communications are only allowed with countries that have a third party
agreement with the US.

I see no interpretation of the regulation that distinguishes who created the
message.  I also see no definition of a non-third party, non-licensed
amateur entity.

There is no difference between a newbie at the station and a person on the
other end of a telephone line being "phone patched" in.  The Control
Operator is controlling the station.

Reasonable people can disagree.

Ed  N1UR