Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Assisted - Is it just another Urban Myth ?

To: Trent Sampson <vk4ts@outlook.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW Assisted - Is it just another Urban Myth ?
From: Stan Stockton <wa5rtg@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 10:53:39 -0500
Trent,

There is no myth.  Anyone who thinks there is no advantage in having a list
of everyone who is calling CQ on CW and being able to sort the list
according to which contacts will provide new multipliere and new QSOs is
mistaken.  You will be unable to tind a single person who operates
competitively who will agree with you.  Certainly the data doesn't support
your view because the operators are not the same caliber.  If you believe
that to be true you are incorrect.  You cannot compare the scores between
the winners of these two categories because the best operators, except on
rare occasion, don't choose to use the internet. See if you can find a
single person who has ever won in either category who does not believe
using the RBN is an advantage.

Regarding my dog in the fight, I am having fun in my retirement years and
have a new QTH on Cayman Brac where I plan to spend several months a year.
Who knows, I may someday enter the assisted category before I move to
assisted living :-).  Although I don't need to have a dog in the fight in
order to want contesting to remain an enjoyable passtime for all who enjoy
it, I do have a son, N5DX, who has won several contests and since he is in
his 30's I think it would be good to preserve the fun of contesting for him.

One of the biggest fears I have is that someone will create software that
will read callsigns (already done) and combine it with the RBN data (easy
to do) and create an Automated CW Contesting station that with multiple
rigs, sequencing and on-going refinement could eventually run circles
around the very best operators.  If that happens it won't be much fun for
anyone except those who will win, not because of a combination of factors
including operator ability, but only because they have the best station.

>My basis for the questions is I am looking at doing SOAB during the low
sunspot years and I am wondering what all the fuss is about

There was no fuss until you made your post.  Enter whatever category you
want.  No one cares what category you choose except you.

73...Stan, K5GO