Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R

To: sawyered@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] SO2R vs SO1R
From: Ria Jairam <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 09:41:12 -0400
The original statement said:

"I don't support the notion we should create new categories just
because some folks have developed a skill the rest of us choose not
to."

Let's be honest with ourselves. This is NOT simply and only a question
of skills. It is absolutely a question of station in addition to
skills. There's absolutely 100% no denying of this.

This pretty much mirrors the debate over assisted vs unassisted, or
even in-band dual CQ which was banned by ARRL and CQ. It takes skill
to use the cluster. It also takes skill to dual CQ in band. But a very
important consideration is having the station to do it.

Think of it - are all of the stations on the East Coast that place in
the top 10, somehow more skilled than those in the rest of the country
because they place in the top 10? Of course not. What about those with
wire antennas only? Are they less skilled? I doubt it. There are many
factors at play, but to dismiss it as simply and only a question of
skills is deception intended to shut down debate over whether SO2R
should be considered separately.

And for the record, I do not think that SO2R in the official results
should be considered separately from SO1R. Single op refers to  the
person behind the station, not the number of radios.

Ria, N2RJ