Re: [CQ-Contest] Antenna farm

To: jimk8mr@aol.com, jamesdavidcain@gmail.com, cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Antenna farm
From: Ktfrog007--- via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2017 16:55:17 -0400
And this reminds me of an article in the July, 1981 CQ Magazine, page  85,
called "The Ham Who Wasn't" by Gerald Samkofsky, N4ZB at the  time.  I can't
find any current information on a ham of that name and given  the time
frame of the story, he may be a SK.

He and his wife went out walking in Brooklyn one day in the 1950s and he
noticed a longwire antenna atop a commercial building.  Probably  a fellow
ham.  He wanted to stop in, but his wife didn't want to bother the  person, so
they continued their walk.  On subsequent walks his wife also  refused.
But later, on a free Saturday, the ham went by himself and found  the wire led
to a photography studio, but no one was there.  He inquired at  a
neighboring office and was told the studio tenant had left the property
several days
earlier with "some stern faced" men and hadn't been seen  since.

Turns out the "ham" was Rudolf Abel, a Soviet spy who was taken into
custody by the FBI.  He was later exchanged for Gary Powers, the downed U-2
pilot.  That story was recently told again in the movie "Bridge of  Spies."

73,
Ken, AB1J

In a message dated 2017-09-02 1:22:18 P.M. Coordinated Universal Tim,