Re: [CQ-Contest] Antenna farm

To: <jimk8mr@aol.com>, <jamesdavidcain@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Antenna farm
From: "Dennis McAlpine" <dbmcalpine@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2017 21:57:28 -0400
It was the Russian embassy in NYC and it was half a block away from our
apartment building on the corner of 67th St and Lexington Ave.  When I went
out and worked on the roof, which often meant I had to climb the water tower
to attach wires to the top of it, they not only sent at least one person on
the roof to monitor me, that person usually carried a rifle/AK-47 or
something like that.  Once they got to know who I was and what I was doing
they were pretty friendly and often would wave when they came out on their
roof.

The worst was the day that the Russians apparently shot down a Korean
airliner.  Not knowing this, I went on the roof to do some antenna work
After 15 minutes or so, three guys came bursting onto the roof top with
machine guns drawn and demanded I come down from the water tower.  It turns
out it was our FBI and they did not know who I was  or what I was doing and
were convinced I was going to attack the embassy.  So much for that antenna
project.

I did often wonder how they could hear anything on the antennas they had on
the roof which looked like they were cut for shortwave listening since I was
half a block away putting a KW signal directly into their antennas.  If I
wasn't blocking their reception, I want to get the filters they were using
because they must have been good.

Dennis, K2SX