Re: [CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Disqualification

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Disqualification
From: Kennan Low <kenke3x@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2017 12:35:14 -0400
I only check the CQ-Contest Archives about once a month - quite surprised to
see this thread about AJ3M being disqualified using 4U1WB callsign.   This is
completely ridiculous:

- Why now, after so many years where 4U stations never had problems?

- We have few enough stations in DC to begin with - why try to discourage one
of them based on a technicality?

- Giving Masa a DQ absolutely DOES hurt his reputation.   The overwhelming
majority of casual hams just review the results, they don’t read this
Reflector.   It makes no difference whether it was a ‘serious effort’ or not.
Don’t use a bunch of analogies from other sports to justify a poor ruling.

- If Masa had been trying to qualify for WRTC, he would now be ineligible and
would now have two years of serious effort taken away from him.

- Was there a conversation with Masa before the results were published?   How
about picking up the phone and talking about it?   How about working out a
solution together like reclassifying as a Checklog for 2017, and committing to
update the rules for 2018?    We are all friends here.

- We are all human and we all make mistakes.   DQ’ing 4U1WB was clearly a
mistake.    If I had been the Contest Director, I would simply admit it, issue
a public apology and move on.

Ken KE3X