[CQ-Contest] Propagation Sucked, especially on Sunday

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Propagation Sucked, especially on Sunday
From: Hank Greeb <n8xx@arrl.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2017 21:56:24 -0500
Folks seem to be complaining that there were no stations to work on Sunday.

However, propagation "sucked" on both daze, and were worse on Sunday than on Saturday.

I had a reasonable time working stations S&P with my 4.99999 watts to a mediocre antenna on 20, 40, and harder time on 80 but reasonable considering the thunderboomers in the midwest on Saturday evening.    I didn't even try "runing" with my measly station.

On Sunday, things were really rotten.  The only saving grace was that a few hardy souls opened up 15 meters for a couple hours or more on Sunday afternoon, and I worked several new multipliers.

20 and 40 were full of mainly a few of the same LOUD stations who I worked before.  On 40 I was heard a few times by the RBN but on 80 only once.  QRN from thunderstorms was down, so I attributed the lack of being heard to either long skip and absorption on these bands, or being overrun by folks I couldn't hear because of the skip zone on both these bands..  On Saturday afternoon until dark it was NVIS on 40 meters,  But never on 80, at least when I got there.

So, maybe it was poor propagation which caused the problem.

When I'm out in a Park for Parks on the Air or the Michigan State Parks on the Air, I can russle up 30 Q's per hour or more and have many, many RBN reports, EXCEPT with absorption is high.  Of course, I'm the "magnet station" and there's little or no QRM.

72/73 de n8xx Hg
QRP >99.44% of the time

---
http://www.avg.com