Re: [CQ-Contest] Interesting Youth In Ham Radio (was Digest)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Interesting Youth In Ham Radio (was Digest)
From: Ward Silver <hwardsil@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2017 12:48:49 -0600
Clearly, our game is going to become more connected and real-time.  I see no reason,
however, that this new world cannot co-exist with the traditional single operator
categories (WRTC-like for instance).  What I would like to see considered is making sure
that the new world doesn't require everyone to be connected and integrated - interoperate
with a game where the "radio" people can play.

I was particularly struck by, and disagree with, the following:

"So everybody has to be
connected - so what - make a new CWAC overlay to CQ WW called the
Internet WW and run everybody's totals there.  If a QSO isn't validated
because the station isn't online, give it one point or something."

I think this new game, which is very rapidly taking over the Assisted and
Multi-operator categories, can easily coexist with the traditional single
operator game that some of us still enjoy playing!:-)

Mark, KD4D
I am not sure we are communicating about what a "CWAC overlay" is - everything on the air is just the same and all contacts count 100% for the regular WW.  In addition to the regular WW, though, the contacts are also submitted (in real-time) to a server (possibly the same server as the real-time scoreboard) where they are validated against other submitted contacts and a parallel score is generated. In fact, the real-time scoreboard could show *two* scores for me - one claimed score as usual and one validated score for the Internet WW CWAC overlay.  At the end of the WW, I submit the usual log and the validation engine posts my score from the QSOs submitted in real-time.  So, in fact, the new and existing games can co-exist very well.  Someone listening in could not tell the difference.

What would the submitted QSO data look like?  A group of us developed an XML schema for QSO and score submission in the late-90s.  I'm sure there are better data formats today but just throwing this out there, why not use the QSO: line's regular Cabrillo format?  That certainly seems to suffice for after-contest log-checking.  Assuming I've pre-registered my category and header information with the validation server, there should be no difference between real-time and post-contest contact validation. To be sure, there is a lot more human oversight and intervention in post-contest log-checking. One challenge would be to create a set of validation policies that are a suitable compromise between real-time and post-contest log-checking.

73, Ward N0AX