Re: [CQ-Contest] Log what he sends?

To: David Siddall <hhamwv@gmail.com>, "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Log what he sends?
From: Radio KØHB <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:30:55 -0700
Dave, that FAQ advice does not strike me as sensible, and is far from clear (in
fact, it borders on self contradictory).

First, I have only a sketchy notion of what zone contains which prefixes, so
“log the zone based on their location” is NOT a sensible instruction.

Second, if someone sends me “7” or “07” or “T7”, then  I am obliged to “think
that they were trying to communicate” the numeric “SEVEN”.  If in fact they are
in zone 8, then this instruction (“convert it to what I thought they were
trying to communicate”)  is in direct conflict with the first phrase in your
quoted FAQ.

Third, the purpose of the contest presumably is to test my ability to
accurately copy the exchange, and to correctly transcribe that copy to my log.
It is total nonsense to hold me responsible to convert that accurate copy into
what I “thought they were trying to communicate”.

73, de Hans, K0HB