Re: [CQ-Contest] Youth / Newer hams in contesting

To: Marty Sullaway <0246811@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Youth / Newer hams in contesting
From: "rjairam@gmail.com" <rjairam@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 13:12:04 +0000
In FRC we invite new people (new to contesting) to take part in multi op
operations such as K2AX and Jay does with K2TTT. Multi op maximizes op time
and also enables mentoring. Some branch off into their own single op
efforts and have fun even with limited antennas and low power. Contributing
to club score is very encouraging so even if you don’t personally “win” you
can be part of a winning team. I know it has motivated me to make bigger
scores even if I can’t win a plaque for myself.

This brings me to another point - having big stations to use is nice but
the newbies often get intimidated because winning a contest is now largely
a game of high power and big stacks, either yours or borrowed/rented. There
are also only a limited number of big stations and all of the newbies
cannot just go and operate there. Not everyone wants to, either. For people
with families, spending time away from home on a contest weekend is often a
non starter.

Also when I competed low power due to lack of an amplifier it was an
interesting revelation - someone who is mid tier high power often blows
away the low power field who are often not just low power but also limited
antennas.

The TB/wires and classic categories I think are supposed to be good for
attracting new blood or just others with limited stations but I see these
simply being taken as new challenges by experienced contesters who have
good locations and good antennas, the upper end of the TB/wires category (I
don’t compete in it because I like to run 40 meters with a 40m Yagi).
Probably nothing wrong with that but now we should reevaluate what those
overlays are supposed to do and maybe adjust or add some.

My first ever CQ wpx certificate was 10 years ago, TB/wires one and it made
me more interested in competing for bigger and better. I used a single 20
meter dipole. I may not be the “youth” demographic but I was in my 20s
then.

The rookie category is the notable exception and I think it works well. The
nice thing is that it’s one and done so once you win it you’re no longer a
rookie. So maybe some expansion and realignment along that line will do
well. Something to encourage people with limited antennas to show an
achievement.

Even in DXCC where I have 300+ mixed, 9 bands and challenge, when I see
newbies working that first 100 mixed they elated when they can get that
wallpaper. IARU used to (or I dunno if they still do) offer certificates
for making a minimum of 250 QSOs. I know that sure motivates me. Even if
it’s the crappiest result in the world, the fact that a newbie can achieve
something helps encourage them.

Just some ideas.

73
Ria