Re: [CQ-Contest] 4O3A Station rebuild

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] 4O3A Station rebuild
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:48:23 -0700
On 4/23/2018 4:15 PM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
HFTA is really essential in hilly terrain.

Contesters out here in NCCC territory are strong believers in HFTA. N6BV, the program author, advises running it for in five degrees increments of azimuth in important directions and at many increments of height. I did that when planning my antenna farm, and have found good correlation with how the antennas work.

It's important to understand that the equations apply only to horizontally polarized antennas.  Vertical antennas are also strongly dependent on terrain, but I don't know of any comparable software for modeling it because the effect of ground and terrain are different. N6BT has done some excellent experimental work on this.

73, Jim K9YC