Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Log Checking

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Log Checking
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@ku8e.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 21:40:56 -0400
N1MM should generate the correct Cabrillo file for every contest. I know being
the person who does the log checking for the Georgia QSO Party that sometimes
people edit the generated Cabrillo file. Please don't do that!
There is a station information tab in N1MM where you enter your country, ARRL
section, US state, CQ zone and ITU zone. If you have that filled out correctly
you should never have to do anything else to have a correct Cabrillo file.
Jeff

Jeff ClarkeInformation Technology Professional Ellerslie, Georgia
http://www.ku8e.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jeffrey-clarke-ga

-------- Original message --------From: Jack Brindle via CQ-Contest
<cq-contest@contesting.com> Date: 7/16/18  7:50 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: cq-contest
<cq-contest@contesting.com> Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] WRTC Log Checking
The only difference I saw when looking at the file was the lack of a ‘0’ at the
end of the QSO lines. This is for the transmitter identifier as described in
the Cabrillo V3.0 spec. When Jim added the info, it passed the parser. Mine had
passed it with that information several hours earlier. The use of that TX
identifier is not as well documented as it should be. It appears to not be
mandatory, but the spec does not call out when it should and should not be
used, just some comments about whether it is useful in a M/M environment. My
take as a communications  protocol designer is that when writing a creator, I
should add the field when told to do so (in this case always unless M/M is
declared), and in a receiver/decoder, if it is not present, assume the default
(0). I suspect that in this case the decoder was problematic and was probably
fixed after the first submission attempt was made.

By the way, for the person who wondered, K9YC has been very active in
contesting for many years, and that QTH that was pointed out on a map is a
pretty good one with some outstanding antenna supports (mostly trees) that I
wish I had. We are very happy to have Jim as an NCCC member.

73!
Jack, W6FB