Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Assisted
From: "Stephen Bloom" <sbloom@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 09:07:23 -0800
This is where I think people end up overthinking it.  True "fairness" is just
not going to happen in any contest, ever.  The closest you can get to it is
something like WRTC, and that isn't feasible (or likely real enjoyable) for
normal operation.  I think this group mostly consists of folks who are either
serious competitors, or at the very least, highly interested in contesting on a
regular basis.  We obsess on the details, because they are the difference
between being competitive and just "being in the game."  There is also a gap
between NA and EU/AS, because I  *think* most EU/AS contesters came out of a
culture of "radiosport" rather than an all around hobby.  We also obsess on
cheating, which, we have to do the best we can to limit it, without letting it
dictate how the non cheaters do things.

The equation for me is all about ..maximum fun and maximum participation.
Again, I know this doesn't matter or even make much sense in EU/AS because "use
all tools available" has been the way since Day 1.  It is a bigger deal in NA,
where

A) the group of contesters is somewhat older
B) We have contests like SS where the Unassisted categories can be more
competitive than the unlimited ones.

Long way of saying, I don't see how having Unassisted categories and even
promoting them hurts anyone or could decrease participation/fun in any way.
They are important to a lot of folks here, and it gives a much easier path for
the casual guy/gal to "get in the game."  Getting the details correct matters,
but really, we all know what "A boy and his radio(s?)" means.  I'm guessing 90
pct of active Hams operate that way.  It is a category "for the rest of us,"
which doesn't mean there won't be huge differences between capabilities in that
category.  What matters is that it is fun for them.  Yes, it opens up another
level of potential cheating.  Not doing it because of that is silly.

73
Steve KL7SB

p.s.  The one exception to any "Boy and His Radio" rule is Tim N3QE.  Yes I
know he'd qualify.  Yes, I know he is legit.  He's still "2 boys and a radio"
himself just by sheer talent :)