[CQ-Contest] WWVB: What time is it? You mean now?

To: pd2r.maarten@gmail.com, kdutson@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [CQ-Contest] WWVB: What time is it? You mean now?
From: ktfrog007--- via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 14:44:19 -0400

According to an article in Wikipedia there are over 50 million radio clocks and
wrist watches that use WWVB.  There's bound to be a handful of unhappy campers
in that group if WWVB goes QRT.

I have one of the wrist watches and have used it in recent years to verify that
my WSJT-X timing (from Dimension4) is on the money.  However, it uses an
obscure watch battery I used to buy at Radio Shack (SK).  My battery died
recently and the watch is just sitting on my desk, dead by association.

Here's something about WWVB that maybe some more knowledgeable person can
verify.  It transmits a ground wave signal (which follows the earth's surface)
at 60 kHz, a very low frequency, and covers a wide area with no skip zones like
the higher frequency WWV sky wave stations.  I assume the path from it to me is
a great circle path of constant distance (also considering terrain. bodies of
water, etc) from which I could make a latency correction to get the most
accurate time.

You can't do this with the sky wave stations via the fluctuating ionosphere.

My wrist watch's manual warns that the signal is weakest during the daylight
hours and there are some areas of the US where reception is poor (East Coast,
the Los Angles basin).  It resets during the night, after midnight for me.  I
had to take it off every evening and set it on a wooden window sill, its
plastic case broadside to Ft Collins, CO, to get consistent resets.  If I did
that it worked well and always correlated with Dimension4 and the WWV stations.

WWV and WWVB have been part of the sound track of my life ever since I got
interested in radio.  But so were Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee  and Johnny Cash,
and they went away, too.

73,
Ken, AB1J